Friday, June 15, 2012

Are you up for A Daring Book Challenge?

THIS BLOG IS NOT BEING UPDATED ANYMORE  - SEE OLD REVIEWS OR GET LIST OF BOOKS FOR FUN BUT THERE IS NO LONGER A CHALLENGE

Have you read The Daring Book for Girls? My review is here.

At the end of the book is a long list of great books for girls to read like Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitshugh, Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren, Call of the Wild by Jack London, The Giver by Lois Lowry and Black Beauty by Anne Sewell. I thought reading some or all of them would make a great challenge so I got permission and here we are!

You have 3 tracts to choose from plus you can choose to join me in trying to read them all.

1. Read one book from each category from June 15/08 to February 15/09 (6 books in 8 months)
2. Read any 9 books from the list from June 15/08 to June 15/09 (9 books in 12 months)
3. Read one whole series from this list starting June 15/08. If it contains up to 10 books, by June 15/09, if 20-30 books, by June 15/11 and for the Trixie Belden series and Nancy Drew series by June 15/12.

PLUS

4. Want to work on reading them all? It's an ongoing challenge so take all the time you need. You can do this and still do one of the above.

...

11 comments:

Becky said...

I have a quick question--for tract number three--does Anne count as a series? It's one of the top ones on the list under 20 Girl classics. And I guess the same applies to Emily right under her. I'm trying to decide between tract 2 or 3. I've already *committed* to reading 13 L.M. Montgomery books for the Canadian Challenge, second round. Just curious. I'm in either way.

Heather said...

Can I reread for one of the tracts? I understand it doesn't count if I've read it in the past but does this mean it can count if I do reread it?

Kathleen said...

becky... well I only added it as a series if it was mentioned in the book as a series or all the books were listed seperately. Anne and Emily were only listed as the first book. I'm not sure. I guess if you want to use them as series that would be okay.

heather... yes if you reread them it counts.

Anonymous said...

Sweet. Are you sure about postage to Canada, though? I've gotten books from the States that were shipped for only $2-3 (media mail rate). It might be worth looking in to.

Dewey said...

Ok, I definitely decided to join! I'll do tract 2.

Kathleen said...

SheReadsBooks...

I'm IN Canada and it's sending TO the states that's the problem. It's not bad if it's a small book and paperback but these are thick and hardcover.

Anonymous said...

Count me in for my first challenge! http://maplesandfiddleheads.wordpress.com/2008/06/08/daring-girls-challenge/

Anonymous said...

Oh! Right you are. I'm sorry; I read that entirely backwards.

tinylittlelibrarian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I was just wondering if you know that I want to join the challenge as I did not see my name on the list. Did you see my list at A Novel Challenge about the books that are available on the internet?

Sorry for nagging you about these two things. Judy

burrum said...

I have made a start on my list and posted my comments on my first read - The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Eliabeth George Speare.

http://burrum-bookgroup.blogspot.com/

Trisha